Saturday, August 26, 2006

KANK and some reviews

I haven't yet seen Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna, but been reading reviews of it. It turned out to be a very entertaining exercise, reading the reviews. The film seems to bring the best out of reviewers. I'm listing here a few of the delightful pieces.

Before the film released, an HT article said:

Recently, Ram Gopal Varma created a farcical flutter by announcing he was looking forward to KANK because he loves horror films.
I guess that kind of set the trend. One rubbed hands in gleeful anticipation and waited for reviews.

The NYT pretty much concluded that it is the eye makeup that made all the difference.

Soon Dev is lovestruck, and who can blame him: Ms. Mukherji’s eye makeup, which we get to observe in detail, is much better than Ms. Zinta’s.
...
As for the story’s central lovers, it’s never quite clear what Maya sees in Dev, whose emotional switch has only two settings, angry and morose. Perhaps that eye makeup is clouding her vision.
The Hindu's reviewer was taking in the details:
Everything is picture perfect: there is so much perfection it stifles free expression. When the actors shed a tear, it trickles down only up to a certain point on the cheek. When the hair gets unruly in anger, all the wayward strands fall at a certain angle.
Not to mention scores of bloggers who have some hilarious takes on the film. If you come by more of these, do let me know :)

Update
Abhipraya found someone else doing the same thing here. Lotsa links there. She also points me to this, where Neha Viswanathan says: "Karan Johar - Alvida Kehdo. Please."

:)

2 comments:

Abhipraya said...

I was determined not to see this movie. But now I have to see it atleast to write about it!!!

Anonymous said...

I thank heavens that I did not face this movie. God knows what would have happened if I had ...