Saturday, September 23, 2006

Gandhigiri

Who ever thought that Gandhian principles would get such a peppy new avtaar in the 21st century?! When watching Lage Raho Munnabhai, I wondered if the film would make a difference to people, whether they would leave the theatre and actually think of putting into practice the lovable Bhai’s style of protest. There’s this bit where one of the characters is talking about how Munnabhai’s radio show is catching on, and how people are voluntarily washing off walls when someone spits. And I thought, yeah it’s a film, they can say these things will happen, but off the silver screen it is never going to happen.

But now, look at all the buzz around Gandhigiri. People are protesting with roses. It has lead to discussions among youngsters and is apparently inspiring them. The word has taken over the headlines – ‘PM pleads for Gandhigiri at NAM’, ‘After Munnabhai, America takes to Gandhigiri’, and so on. No, they are not talking about the film, only about maintaining and promoting peace. And if you want to read all articles on Gandhigiri, there is even a dedicated website. And of course, when something is this popular, someone has to protest.

That apart, I met someone last week who thought that the entire film was a long Congress campaign. The minute Gandhi appeared on the screen, the idea fixed itself in his head, and he couldn't even sit through the film. He left during interval. That was a new perspective for me, though now I am wondering why I didn't think of it that way!

4 comments:

Abhipraya said...

History textbooks, the very intimidating gandhians who make you feel quiet miserable with their very idealistic (read unrealistic) expectations from today's youth and all the politicking around Gandhi had kept me away from Gandhi all these years. But Lage Raho Munna Bhai made me rethink about it. Although I don't agree with some of his principles and actions I am ready to listen to him, I mean try out some of his theories.

You know my neighbours play such loud music that I can't hear my own tv. What do you think I should do to stop them? I am not buying roses so don't suggest that.

Anonymous said...

in the movie gandhi himself says "such bolna himmat walon ka kaam hain"

Do we have the courage is the question?

As for congress campaign - All i want to say is
It was before 50years that Gandhi had any relation to congress. Today's politician see 500Rs note equals one gandhi

Sunil Kumar T K
www.sunilkumartk.co.nr

Sav said...

Abhipraya: You might want to erad this -- http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1988371.cms
ToI's story where they asked a few celebs what they would do in certain situations. Loud music is one of them :)
But my suggestion -- Tell him that you appreciate his playing music for the entire building, but his taste in music is really bad, so since he is anyway playing for everyone, he should consider everyone's taste, so you are setting up a fund for buying him some good music :)

Sunil: Yeah, Gandhiji has long been reduced to a face on currency notes.

Sree said...

Hey Savitha!
Got to hear abt ur blog from someone. Believe it or not..I am yet to see Munnabhai!