Friday, June 09, 2006

Damn these short forms!

Recently, I got this invite for an event, in which the programme read something like this:
10.10AM: Inaugural speech by HE the President of India, Dr APJ Abdul Kalam
10.30AM: Key note address by HE the Governor of Karnataka, TN Chaturvedi

I found it highly amusing. I mean, what is that "HE" all about?! Sounded like "HE the Supreme Being". You get what I mean?

So anyway, I am sitting at the venue, giggling over the HE and to share my mirth, I turned to this journalist sitting next to me whom I had just met, and said something to the effect of "Isn't that funny, the way they refer to them as HE?" She peered over her glasses with this strange look and said "That's short for His Excellency".

Uh... Either I should figure out these short forms, or I should learn not to sound witty around strangers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gaaa haa haa haa,

ditto.

a