Tuesday, June 27, 2006

A silent tear for some silent friends

If I opened the door of my balcony, I could, till early today morning, see 11 tall silver oaks, swaying in the breeze, blocking from view the ugly sight of bare rooftops. Not anymore. In about an hour, silently, they were all brought down.

And I can't believe that I didn't even hear a crash, a sigh. All I noticed was the extra sunlight that the room was suddenly getting. A curious peek outside and there it was -- 11 trees, mercilessly chopped, their roots pulled out.
How many times I had told myself I should just buy that plot of land! We had even pictured the house that could be built there, my mother and I. With a wide verandah opening to the row of trees. And a hammock between the first two trees. Oh well, somewhere we knew that the days of the trees were numbered.

I suppose the only ones who will even notice the change, let alone miss the trees, will be me and a couple of cows who regularly took shelter there.

I am moving some place else.

2 comments:

Abhipraya said...

What are you saying? Those tress were brought down? That was one plot I was confident, will stay. Why did they cut it down? You know how many birds I have counted among those trees? Shux....

Anonymous said...

empathies

a