Friday, June 02, 2006

Half of me

I have said this before, and I will say it again: Let us abolish the phrase "better half".

Two years ago, I was One. An individual. People asked, "How are you?" Then one day, my identity was halved. And as though that wasn't enough, the other half was known as the better half. I became the not-so-good half. Now people ask, "How is your better half?" It is an entirely different story that they don't bother asking how I am.

It is all very well to say that love is all about one soul in two bodies and that in marriage the husband and wife are one. I still am one single person, you see. I have not halved myself. I do not have another half. Moreover, how dare someone say that I got married to half a person? Hell, he is just as whole as I am.

So, the next time someone asks me about better halves, well, I will direct her/him to this post. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't help agreeing with you more, nor could I help stop laughing esp "how dare someone say that I got married to half a person?"

annie (from hereon just a)