Monday, June 12, 2006

The early bird and the worm

Why were we all taught at a very young age that the early bird gets the worm? And why did I, like a fool, buy it? Why did I let myself be brainwashed to believe that I want the worm? I should have read that Calvin and Hobbes strip much earlier than I actually did. That one in which Calvin's mom is trying to wake him up and says "Early bird gets the worm" and Calvin makes a disgusted face and exclaims, "Big incentive!" Then there is this ex-colleague of mine who said "Who wants the worm? I want the sleep."

And it has taken me this long to realise that the early bird doesn't always get the worm. There's this play in the evening, you reach well in time, and then you wait and wait and wait for all those impolite late comers to come and take their seats. By the time it starts some half an hour late, you are tired of waiting. And you ask, hey I was here first, where's my worm? You get to the airport early so that you get the seat in the emergency aisle, lots of leg room and all that. And you realise that the best seats have already been taken by all those chaps with privilege cards who can do a tele-check-in or an online check-in. Hello?? Can't you at least keep some good fat worms for those who religiously come early??

Think about it, there are plenty of such examples around you. Reject the worm, I say.

No comments: